- Plan Your Text Message Marketing Campaigns in Advance
- Use Discounts Online & In-Store to Incentivize Purchases
- Show Your Most Loyal Customers How Much You Care
- Present a Message on Your BBGo Menu
At times, it can be difficult to know how much dispensary traffic to prepare for ahead of an event or holiday. Thinking ahead helps your team maximize any traffic increases - we’re sharing some tips and best practices for texting your customers, creating discounts & rewards, and promoting deals so that everyone is in the loop.
Plan Your Text Message Marketing Campaigns in Advance
The first and most important tip for using text message marketing in your dispensary is to make a plan and stick to it. Cannabis shopping holidays like Green Wednesday and 4/20 might be on your mind, but consistent engagement with your customers is the key to longterm success.
- Set a regular cadence for sending text campaigns. Consumers are more likely to purchase from a company they know and trust. It’s important to stay engaged with your customers throughout the year. We suggest at least one campaign per week to your full list to keep them engaged; but no more than 2-3 campaigns within a 7 day period.
- Avoid sending a campaign on the day of a holiday or promotion. Sending a text message on the day of an event could result in your campaigns falling into message queues, basically long lines where campaigns wait to be sent out. When a lot of campaigns are scheduled on the same day and around the same time, it can result in your text messages being delayed. Some messages can also be carrier filtered where they are filtered for containing cannabis-specific keywords. We suggest using the broadest terms possible to convey your message.
- Have a goal in mind for your text message marketing campaign. Are you pushing a brand partner’s product this week? Or looking to increase the number of delivery orders placed? By setting SMART goals for your text message marketing, you create a framework for an effective marketing strategy with measurable wins.
Be specific, send targeted text messages to smaller audiences
Mass texts are not your friend. While it may seem tempting to shoot out a quick message to your entire list, research shows that 91% of consumers are more likely to shop with a brand that provides personalized offers and recommendations that are relevant to them. Additionally, some carriers will filter mass text messages resulting in underperforming campaigns.
- Instead of sending out texts to everyone on your list, try sending your Green Wednesday deal on cartridges to all of your customers interested in vape. Or a highlight of the newest holiday edibles available to all of the edible lovers on your list.
- Include a timeline or expiration date to increase the urgency of your promotion.
- Make it feel exclusive - ex. a reward for being a part of the text club.
Avoid carrier filtering by following best practices
Phone services carriers work hard to protect their customers. Similar to other marketing outlets like social media and digital advertising, cannabis is still heavily restricted. The best way to make successful campaigns is to avoid carrier filtering with these best practices.
- Time is of the essence. Don’t wait until the day of to send thousands of texts. Send them in the days leading up to the sale so your deals are already top-of-mind and your messages don’t wait in the queue.
- Link relevant URLs to your message so your message is not mistaken for spam. Example: Add the menu link if you're encouraging them to order online!
- Follow Carrier Guidelines to increase deliverability. This includes not using restricted keywords like joint, preroll, etc. Not sending a high volume of texts every once in a while, but establishing consistent engagement with your lists.
Use Discounts Online & In-Store to Incentivize Purchases
Are you expecting to offer discounts on certain brands or products, or even specific customer types? Similar to your text campaigns, one of the most important tips is to make a plan and stick to it.
- Determine what discounts you'll be offering ahead of time. Are there specific days certain discounts will be available? Set them and forget them, here!
- Will these discounts be available for online orders on your BBGo menu? Make sure that your discounts are marked as available online!
- Communicate online discount codes to your customers using Connect. This way, they will be able to apply those discounts in their carts before checking out, showing them their updated order total.
Show Your Most Loyal Customers How Much You Care
A loyalty program benefits both the customer and your business; this is because a loyalty program can help attract customers to sign up with your dispensary, which grows your customer list, as well as opts them into text messaging (if you have this set up). The customer benefits from Loyalty since they get rewarded as a member of the program, and you maintain a customer for life!
- Determine what rewards you'll be offering ahead of time. Are there specific days certain rewards will be available? Set them and forget them, here!
- Will these rewards be available for online orders on your BBGo menu? Make sure that your rewards are marked as available online!
- Communicate redeemable rewards to your customers using Connect. This way, they will be able to apply those rewards in their carts before checking out, showing them their updated order total.
Present a Message on Your BBGo Menu
Want to make sure no one gets left out of the discounts, rewards, and specials you're offering? Add them to your menu's promotional message section! There is an open text box at the top of each menu that can be used to promote promos, deals, or specials at the top of the your menu.
- Offering a deal for pick up and/or delivery orders? Say something like: "Get free delivery w/ $50 minimum purchase!"
- Have daily deal you want to blast? Add something like: "Everyday Deals! -Incredibles Edibles 2 for $30 and Eighths for $39".
- Want to make sure you're keeping your staff and customers safe & healthy? Make sure to include something like: "If you suspect you’ve been exposed to or are experiencing symptoms of COVID-19, or flu-like symptoms, please do not place an order."
Was this article helpful? Let us know below! We’re always trying to improve and would love to see your feedback.